Saturday, February 26, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes

I just watched a video my brother posted on Facebook of a baby laughing hysterically as her dad ripped up a job rejection letter.  He then proceeded to rip up credit card bills as she continued to laugh and laugh.

It brought tears to my eyes at the same time that I was smiling at the baby's exuberance and joy at the sound that ripping made!  It reminded me that the details that adults sweat over, the credit card bills, the job rejection notices, the lack and stresses of life that we all get caught up in, don't mean anything to a small baby or child.  And if you think about it, those things don't mean anything at the end of your life either.

Life shouldn't be about what you have or don't have, what you did or didn't get, what your bills are about.  Life is about moments of laughter, love, and joy.  The memories that you make with family and friends.  Not the negatives and feelings of lack, loss, and not being "enough".   Especially when you don't know when those memories will end.

A co-worker of mine lost his 23 year old son last week to suicide.  He was a handsome, strapping young man with his whole life ahead of him.  His family, and us as co-workers to his father, are devastated at the waste and tragedy this family is experiencing.  One minute it's TGIF and life is good and the next morning it's experiencing the nightmare no parent wants to face.

So please be joyful like the baby and laugh at the small things in your life.  Create the laughter and the memories you can cherish forever.  Not getting that job, not buying that jewelry, not having the best cell phone, XBox, or TV, are not the end of the world.   In the grand scheme of life they don't matter.  What matters is who you love and how you love.

I have always loved this poem.  Don't know who the author is but I would like to share it with you!

A Hundred Years From Now

A hundred years from now no one will remember
How much money I had in the bank
what kind of car I drove
or what kind of job I had.

But I will be remembered
as someone special
because I made a difference
in the life of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment